Sunday, August 26, 2018

Raising Wild Turkeys

Most of you know that we raise Eastern Wild Turkeys. I really enjoy interacting with them, as much as they let me, and raising the poults. Since they are wilds they don't behave as domestic turkeys. For example, we have two toms that are about 4 years old. Both of them, and all of the other adult birds, roost in the trees at night. We allow them to free range but since they are pen raised they do not leave our place. The only problem I have free ranging them is when the turkey hens start laying, twice a year once in the spring and again in the fall, and begin looking for a secure nesting place. To them a secure nesting place is in the woods and out of sight. Their actions produce two problems: 1) I have to find them and bring them and their eggs in to hatch (If you have ever looked for a wild turkey in the woods how many did you find?) 2) Often predators find the nests before I do and we lose the eggs and over the years have lost 3 breeding hens to coyotes. I don't like losing them but I can't bring myself to pen these beautiful birds year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment